With millions of homes across the country going into foreclosure, it’s important for both buyers and mortgage holders to understand the process.
what is a pre-foreclosure in Orange County, anyway?
Many condo owners across America and Orange County are facing difficulties making their monthly mortgage payments.
When a condo owner misses 3-6 months of mortgage payments, the lending institution will issue a warning, notifying the owner to pay or lose their property. This period is known as “pre-foreclosure.”
Banks and mortgage lenders typically provide three months for the condo to become current with payments. (Of course, this number can vary by bank and situation).
If the owner fails to make the necessary payments, the bank will foreclose on the property, assuming ownership, and evict the tenant. Thankfully, during this stage of the foreclosure process, a mortgage holder has the opportunity to take advantage of several options to prevent losing their home.
Pre-foreclosure Options for Borrowers
If you’re behind on mortgage payments, you’re likely to receive a “notice of default” from your mortgage lender.
This document will state that you have not made mortgage payments for the last 90-180 days. It’s important not to panic.
You have options that can delay or even prevent losing your condo:
- If your mortgage is “above water,” (meaning you have equity in your condo) you may be able to refinance your mortgage, receiving lower monthly payments. Check with your local OC mortgage broker… or contact us and we can connect you with a reputable one.
- You may be able to quickly sell your condo to a real estate investor that’s reputable in OC, (like Fast Condo Buyers!) using the cash acquired to pay the months of back-payments owed .We can buy your Orange County area condo quickly, often in just a week or two, will pay in cash, and takes the stress out of trying to find a buyer.
- You can contact the bank and ask them to permit a short sale. In a short sale, you’ll sell your condo for less than it’s worth, and the bank will take the loss as a tax write-off. In some short sales you may still be required to pay the difference to the bank if the condo doesn’t sell for what is owed on the loan.
- You may be able to declare bankruptcy, which can buy you time to pay your debt. Keep in mind, though, bankruptcy will remain on your credit report for years, and can cause significant damage.
Lenders are very much aware of the widespread financial troubles across the country and they’re willing to work with borrowers a lot of the time.
If you’re honest and communicate with your lender, you’ll often find that there are options that will allow you to remain in your home, or at least salvage your credit rating.
A foreclosure can often negatively affect your credit score by 200-400 points and can prevent you from obtaining a loan of any sort for 5-7 years, so be very dutiful if you’ve received a Notice of Default from your lender.
But if you’re not able to find a solution with your lender working directly with them… connect with us. We may be able to help.
Ways We Can Help If You’re In Pre-Foreclosure
- We can potentially help with a short sale – Submit your info on this website so we can evaluate your situation to see if we can help.
- We can buy your Orange County area condo – We buy condos in Orange County and would love to make you an all-cash offer on your condo. Just fill out the form here to get started >>
- You can ask us questions and we can provide you FREE guidance and resources so you can make a well educated decision. This costs you nothing, there’s absolutely no pressure, no obligation… just free guidance without a catch.
If you’re in the pre-foreclosure stage… you’ve still got time to fix this situation.
Just connect with your bank to see if they’re willing to work with you… or contact us if you’d like to see what we can buy your house for or to tap into our free foreclosure foreclosure resources.